This month in the nursery the children will continue to learn about Spring and begin their 'All about Me' topic. We would appreciate if parents could talk to their children about how they are unique and the people within their family. They will be sharing these facts with their friends during circle time. Our colour for the month will be shades of blue and the shape we will be focusing on will be the diamond, as well as revising all colours and shapes covered this year. We would like to remind parents to continue to encourage your child to participate in their cutting programme using the scissors that have been sent home. We are delighted how much progress the children are making using scissors independently. Please do continue to use the big book of ideas to further enhance your child's language and communication skills and we hope you enjoy reading the bedtime stories with your child at home. Children are able to change their story books daily in the nursery. Please remind your child to bring their book bag into the quiet room each morning. The weekly maths games are available for parents to borrow should they wish. These will further develop your child's confidence and love of early mathematics. We will soon be beginning our final phrase of our getting ready to learn programme where we will be focusing primarily on physical and well being development. Children will be given the opportunity to borrow different physical activity games to play at home which we are sure they will enjoy very much!
DATE FOR YOUR DIARY: Monday 16th April Talk in school assembly hall at 7pm 'Developing motor skills'.
Personal, Social and Emotional:
• To encourage an understanding of what is right, what is wrong and why.
• To encourage the children to express their feelings, ideas and opinions on subjects associated with everyday life.
• To be independent
• To develop a sense of personal responsibility in the children, for example picking up dressing up clothes/toys, tidying up at art table, helping at “tidy up”.
• The children will be able to act out everyday situations through role play.
• They will become more independent especially in the outdoor activities and role play.
• They will take turns and will use the timer.
• They will display confidence in speaking up in a group situation or through using pictures and puppets etc. and will be able to display feelings.
• They will develop feelings of social responsibility.
• Children will be willing to accept/respect differences in themselves and others
• Appreciate one another’s similarities and differences when working with our ‘sharing from the start’ partner school.
• The children will have an improved vocabulary with regard to their physical features.
• They will be able to use expressive language to convey feelings such as happy, sad, angry etc.
• They will act out the stories/songs
• They will be able to talk about themselves in the past e.g. when I was a baby I couldn’t …etc.
• They will develop talking and listening sills as they listen to story tapes and use the music box outside.
• They will begin to be able to recognise their name as they find name at snack /dinner place and on entering nursery in the morning.
• Continue to participate in weekly book reviews.
• Children will continue to develop physical skills and confidence levels in both fine and gross skill areas.
• They will be excited about sports day and will be willing to participate in practice.
• We will continue to emphasise and develop an awareness of safety, others and the space around them.
• We will provide opportunities using a range of small equipment-balls, hoops, and beanbags to further develop their throwing/catching skills and their aim by using targets.
• To foster movement along the obstacle course in a variety of ways-crawling, pulling, sliding, pushing etc.
• We will instil confidence and enjoyment of outdoor play
• Through our activities we will foster in the children a desire to use their imagination in art, music, stories and role play.
• We will develop an awareness of colour, space, form, texture and sound.
• We will increase their fine motor skills by opportunities to handle tools (cutters, scissors, knives, rolling pins etc) appropriately and safely.
• The children will observe closely themselves and farm animals and draw them.
• We will encourage children to respond to their work by discussion on a 1:1 or in a group.
• We will promote listening and concentration skills through listening to stories/rhymes on tape.
The World Around Us:
• They will talk about past and present events in their own lives.
• They will observe the growth and changes in themselves/animals
• They will appreciate how people grow and change.
• They will develop an awareness of family relationships.
• They will be able to observe plant growth and decay.
• They will continue to be encouraged to care for and to respect their environment and to talk about features they like and dislike.
• They will be able to name and talk about farm animals and their babies.
• We will continue to encourage in the children the observation and care of the plants/flowers / seeds we have planted and to provide opportunities for further planting.
• The children will continue to experiment with paint, creating new shades.
• Through cooking, the children will have opportunities to taste food and to observe changes in food as it is cooked.
• Children will continue to learn about recycling and how we can help our school achieve the green flag.
• Be aware of differences within our religions and cultures.
• The children will consolidate their knowledge of the shapes covered to date and will focus on the new shape, the diamond.
• They will recognise the colour blue and different shades.
• They will develop mathematical language surrounding the concepts longer, shorter, small, medium and large.
• They will begin to develop confidence in sorting, matching and touch counting.
• They will learn new number rhymes/songs.
• They will sequence stages of making models etc
• They will recognise numbers 1 – 5
• They will use language of time when discussing daily routines and past/future experiences.