Parent Covid 19 Letter

Health Protection Duty Room
Public Health Agency
12-22 Linenhall Street


8th December 2020
Dear Parent / Guardian,

RE: Confirmed COVID-19 case in Rosemount Primary and Nursery School, Derry

The Public Health Agency has been notified of a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the Rosemount Primary and Nursery School, Derry community. The Public Health Agency has worked with the school principal to undertake a risk assessment to identify if any people who have been in close contact with the case. In this case no close contacts have been identified in the school setting.

  • This means that staff and children do not need to make any change to their usual routine, including school attendance.

General advice for the wider public is that the most common symptoms of COVID-19 are
recent onset of:

  • new continuous cough and/or
  • high temperature and/or
  • a loss of, or change in, normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)

If your child, or anyone in your household, develops any of these symptoms, your whole household must remain at home and not go to work, school or public areas. You should arrange testing for the person who has developed symptoms. Testing for all symptomatic individuals in Northern Ireland can be booked at When the result is known further advice will be available.

How to stop COVID-19 spreading

There are things you can do to help reduce the risk of you and anyone you live with getting ill
with COVID-19:

  • Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
  • Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
  • Wash your hands as soon as you get home
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
  • Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards

Further information

For further information, please see the Public Health Agency website or contact NHS 111. If your child
feels unwell and you are worried about their symptoms or about anyone else in the home,
please contact your GP.

Yours sincerely,
Dr Joanne McClean
Consultant in Public Health Medicine